Friday, April 30, 2010

Where I stand now

I hated every bit of competitive twirling. The costumes, the makeup, the 7 hour a day practices during the summer and 3 hours each day during the school year. I hated that I missed out on camping trips and sleep overs and birthday parties. I hated that I didn't get to be a "normal kid." I hated all of it...except for the competitors (all which I still dearly love) and where it lead me 12 years later.
I grew up adoring the University of Texas. I watched every football game and basketball game I possibly could with my dad starting at the age of 6 and I knew that's where I wanted to go to school! When I made twirler at UT, I was beyond thrilled. I would get to watch my favorite team from the field.
I wasn't into the glitz and glamour or the popularity of being the UT twirler. I saw the bigger picture and knew that twirling wasn't going to get me where I wanted to be in life. But as I stood on the field as Vince Young ran the ball in to score the winning touchdown at the National Champion game, it all became worth it. The torture, the sweat, the tears and the missed birthday parties; it all had purpose.

Some of my best friends are graduating from college or have in the past 5 years and I assume that's what it felt like to them when they finished school and received their offer letters and started their first "real" job. That "ohhhhh, it was all worth it" feeling. But maybe that's not what you felt. Maybe it was..."ohhhh, this is NOT where I wanted to be."

Maybe the end result will not be what you expect and maybe you're not loving what you're doing, but I challenge you to give it your all...no matter what, because the end of this path you're on...just might be worth it.

1 comment:

Suz said...

No, really. That pic of you and J. Paige over there is making me pee my pants repeatedly. Kiss Turtle for me.